2/25/2009

Waterin Holes and Holy Water



My first images of bar life were no doubt sculpted by places like these. You see I grew up in rural America. The only bars I ever wanted to go to had those sweet swinging doors like in any western film you've ever seen.

Now I may be old school, but to me these "hip" bars and "trendy" places just don't do it for me. I need to get back to my roots. Saloon doors and simple pleasures will do for me. Give me "The Pub" or give me death. The Pub is a local joint, just a couple blocks down from where I work everyday. And while easily missed you have to understand that it is something special. Imagine a bar/pub in your own home. Your own couches, your own ambiance, your own friends. And most of all imagine your own keg tap. For some this is a reality. But for most this is just a dream.


Enter The Pub. While it seems unassuming from the outside it is no doubt one of the quirkiest places in the bay area. It is the homeliest of bars. Take your living room, add a few taps, and some fresh cut tobacco and you have the pub. It used to be a place where connoisseurs of tobacco varieties and beer goodness, could congregate and be merry. And they could do it all inside, from the comfort of their own comfy chair. This is one of the few places I wish you could smoke indoors, I don't smoke but it is really the essence of this place. Though they have managed just fine with the whole smoking outside thing. Their patio is by far my favorite in the area. The pub is a celebration of all things adults enjoy (tobacco, beer, news, legos).


The Pub is a meeting place for long nights ahead, a place where one may write a novel, or begin a novel exploration of libations of the world. If that makes any sense at all (which it doesn't). The pub is my favorite place mostly because of the creaky wood floors, the door which does not shut, and the smell.

Oh the smell!!

Fine tobacco and rustic wood, mixed with old upholstery never smelled better. The couches and chairs are straight from 1970, like something my great grandmother handed down to me for use in my first apartment. Yet the smell of fresh smoking leaves wafts into your nose and leaves you dumbfounded. After a pint and a healthy sit in one of their comfy chairs, you will see what I am talking about. The pub is one of those places not easily replaced, nor found anywhere else than in Albany, California. It is a celebration of all things adult. Much like Toys R' Us is a celebration of all things childlike! Though the pub is much less corporate, and a whole lot more tasty.

My goodness, My Guinness!!

Never have I felt more at home than I have at The Pub. It really is a gem of the Bay Area, and the best part is that no one really knows about it. Most would say it is a boring bar (though it pushes the meaning of "bar" to it's limit). Yet in all my times I have been here, I have not once found it boring, there is too much soul for it to be boring. And too much good beer...

No comments:

Post a Comment